12 September 2016

No Regrets

I went to my Pulmonary Oncologist on Thursday. I was having seizures in their office, so they took me right back. After I came too, the doctor told me he was going to start me on immunosuppressive therapy (chemo) and immunotherapy. So, I will be getting off hospice and starting aggressive treatment. I don't want to just throw in the towel and that is what hospice really is. I love them to death but I am not ready to die.

My very wise mother often says "If it was meant to be, it will happen." By this, she means everything happens for a reason.

When I ponder about the events that happened or is happening in my life, I now know that all these situations whether they were good or bad, brought me to where I am today. And where I am today, is a very good place.

I have no regrets about decisions I have made because right now, I am in a wonderful place in my life and it took all the good and all the bad to get here in this place.

Getting cancer sucked, but look where it has brought me. I loved my life before I was diagnosed but now I treasure my life and isn't that the way it should be?


I get such pleasure and satisfaction out of doing good, that I think maybe it's more for me than others. Others benefit of course, but I'm the big winner.

Also, I want to give back. Before cancer entered my life, I was quite reluctant to receive. It was difficult for me. That was one of the many lessons I had to learn with this condition. Receive. Since my illness, I have been the recipient of prayers, love, support, food, flowers and plants, money, tasks and more. The gratification I feel when giving or doing good, allows me to receive with grace.

I also believe in Karma. To me karma means the fate we create for ourselves as a result of our judgments and actions. I also believe this holds true for this life about also next life.


So, everyday I try to do good. Whether it is for people I know, people I don't know or the earth.

I recently purchased a Joel Olsteen book. So I got right to it. Right off the bat the character who narrates the story has just lost a friend to cancer. “Great,” I thought, “Just what I needed.” And it was one of those books where you just knew everything was going to work out in the end – I can’t stand being taken down a literary road when I can sit there and basically write the story myself.

I finished the book fairly quickly and my friend waited the two days while I read wanting to know the ‘secret.’ I even had to wade through a section on hospice though it was a minor portion of the book. I did think while reading that God is funny. What I don’t need to read about is someone losing a friend to cancer nor how this young man dies in hospice but hey there I was.

In the end one of the characters says the most poignant thing in the book: The three most important things in life are the three things that you cannot prove: faith, hope and love..

While I didn’t love the book, that statement made perfect sense to me. One of my favorite verses to quote to left-brained scientific types (to me the hardest to have faith talks ) is this: But now faith, hope, love, abide these three; but the greatest of these is love. 1 Corinthians 13:13


And another: Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen. Hebrews 11:1.

These are treasures you can store up. No moth or rust can take these away from you. Two nights ago when I was reading this book, I looked up and on my wall was a butterscotch colored moth. A gentle God reminder…

Love you all and truly mean it and God loves you too,
Shanna xoxo

September is Pulmonary Fibrosis Awareness month. Going blue for pulmonary fibrosis awareness month. For $10, I will dye both of my kids hair blue, for $20, I will dye two of my friends hair blue plus my kids. 
For $15.00,you can order blue icing topped cupcakes (a dozen) and I'll dye my kids hair blue.
You will receive a bracelet, notepad, and a pulmonary fibrosis pen just for donating.
Let's go blue for pulmonary fibrosis month and raise money for more research so that one day, there may be a cure! Just click on the link to make your donation http://www.firstgiving.com/fundraiser/shanna-brock/GPFAM2016.

Here is the link to our Go Fund Me Page to help with medical and travel expenses: gofund.me/hope4shanna2016

Official blog Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/shannabananahealthandfitness 

 

Official prayer warrior page for my fight against lung cancer: facebook.com/hope4shanna





1 comment:

  1. Shanna, I don't know you, but I've been following your blog for a while now. I was raised in a religious environment but shed that as an adult. There have been a number of reminders in my life that there is such thing as God and heaven. But most importantly, LOVE.

    I know this comment is going to run a little long, but I have a story to tell. When I was 19, I put a child (boy) up for adoption. Throughout the years I thought about him and hoped he had a happy life. I've since moved from the state where all this happened, but 6 months or so ago, I was prompted to look at the obituaries of the local newspaper. As I scanned down the list of names and faces, one stopped me in my tracks. The boy looked exactly like the father of the boy. I looked at the birthdate and there it was, HIS birthdate. I knew in an instant that he was my child. I struggled to know what to do. Whether to contact the family or leave it be. In the end I had to send a note, for if I didn't I would be burdened with thoughts, but no action.

    Sure enough, he was my birth son. He had committed suicide. What happened is not the point of the story, but that here was a really strong reminder that he somehow had reached out to me and he knows me.

    Recently his mother sent me a text message telling me about a book she read. I suggest you get it and read it as well. It's called "Proof of Heaven" by Dr. Eben Alexander.

    I wish you all the best. I know you are a strong fighter. Love and compassion is all we need to have in our hearts.

    ReplyDelete